https://cdn.agencyinfo.net/lunarinsurance-wp/__domain_images_wp/enfold_wpheader_logo.png 0 0 Admin https://cdn.agencyinfo.net/lunarinsurance-wp/__domain_images_wp/enfold_wpheader_logo.png Admin2018-08-03 11:05:322018-08-03 11:06:52Lightning and Summer Storms
Lightning and Summer Storms
Lightning storms are incredibly dangerous and more deadly than tornadoes, floods and hurricanes. When a storm is on the verge of striking your area, you need to know the steps to take in order to protect your family and home.
Use these tips to stay safe during a lightning storm:
- Seek shelter in an enclosed building, if possible.
- If you are in a car, stay inside and keep the windows securely rolled up.
- Do not use a small shed, pavilion or lean-to as shelter—they do not provide enough protection.
- Do not use a landline telephone during a storm. Instead, use a cellular or cordless phone that is not connected to the building’s wiring.
- If you’re outside during a lightning storm, get as close to the ground as possible without placing your hands or knees on the ground.
- Avoid seeking shelter near trees, metal fences, pipes or tall and long objects.
- If you are swimming, boating or fishing, seek shelter on land immediately.
If someone you know is struck by lightning, contact emergency personnel immediately. A lightning strike can cause the heart to stop and a person to stop breathing.
If you have the proper medical training, administer CPR to victims who do not have a pulse and treat conscious victims for burns, fractures and other wounds.